Start by marking “Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident” as Want to Read: In February , a group of nine experienced hikers in the Russian Ural Mountains died mysteriously on an elevation known as Dead Mountain. The true story of the Dyatlov Pass. Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident (Historical Nonfiction Bestseller, True Story Book of Survival). Editorial Reviews. From Publishers Weekly. The mystery of the bizarre deaths of elite Russian . Dead Mountain is a well-researched, and respectful book about the Dyatlov Pass incident that took the lives of nine young Russian university.

    Language:English, Spanish, Indonesian
    Published (Last):21.09.2016
    Distribution:Free* [*Registration needed]
    Uploaded by: CAMI

    52252 downloads 142744 Views 13.58MB ePub Size Report

    Dead Mountain Book

    New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller! — What happened that night on Dead Mountain? In February , a group of nine experienced hikers in. In Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident, Pass Incident, by Donnie Eichar, is published by Chronicle Books. The Dyatlov Pass incident (Russian: Гибель тургруппы Дятлова) refers to the deaths of nine skiers/hikers in the northern Ural Mountains, in the former .. Another hypothesis popularised by Donnie Eichar's book Dead Mountain is that.

    Jason ZaskyDec 23, The Dyatlov group skiing towards the location of their final campsite, February 1, One of the ten hikers, Yuri Yudin, turned back midway through the trip due to health concerns, a decision that saved his life. Weeks later, after the other nine failed to return home, a search party began combing over a large swath of remote wilderness. In the ensuing months, search parties would discover the bodies of all nine students, in separate locations, all approximately a mile from their camp site. The seven men and two women were found half-dressed, nearly all without boots left behind in their tent and some without socks. Autopsies would reveal that six of the nine died from hypothermia, but three were deemed to have perished from violent injuries, with one victim missing her tongue. What no one could explain was what possessed the inadequately-dressed skier-hikers to venture away from their only source of shelter into the bitter cold of a dark, windy, midwinter night. More than five decades later, the overwhelming majority of Russians remain familiar with the case, and many are quick to opine about what might have occurred. Potential explanations include: murder at the hands of the military, escaped prisoner attack, avalanche, and death by nuclear waste. He also interviewed friends and family members of the hikers, including the aforementioned Yudin, who shared his recollections before passing away earlier this year. Alfred J. Bedard, Jr.

    In , he published an article which included his admission that the investigation team had no rational explanation for the incident. He also stated that, after his team reported that they had seen flying spheres, he then received direct orders from high-ranking regional officials to dismiss this claim.

    The narrative line of the book details the everyday life and thoughts of a modern woman an alter ego of the author herself who attempts to resolve the case.

    Despite its fictional narrative, Matveyeva's book remains the largest source of documentary materials ever made available to the public regarding the incident. In addition, the pages of the case files and other documentaries in photocopies and transcripts are gradually being published on a web forum for enthusiastic researchers. The foundation's stated aim is to continue investigation of the case and to maintain the Dyatlov Museum to preserve the memory of the dead hikers.

    Reviewing the sensationalist "Yeti" hypothesis see below , American skeptic author Benjamin Radford suggests as more plausible: "that the group woke up in a panic They were poorly clothed because they had been sleeping, and ran to the safety of the nearby woods where trees would help slow oncoming snow.

    In the darkness of night they got separated into two or three groups; one group made a fire hence the burned hands while the others tried to return to the tent to recover their clothing, since the danger had apparently passed. But it was too cold, and they all froze to death before they could locate their tent in the darkness.

    At some point some of the clothes may have been recovered or swapped from the dead, but at any rate the group of four whose bodies were most severely damaged were caught in an avalanche and buried under 4 metres 13 ft of snow more than enough to account for the 'compelling natural force' the medical examiner described. Dubinina's tongue was likely removed by scavengers and ordinary predation.

    An avalanche would have left certain patterns and debris distributed over a wide area. The bodies found within ten days of the event were covered with a very shallow layer of snow and, had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party, these bodies would have been swept away as well; this would have caused more serious and different injuries in the process and would have damaged the tree line.

    Over expeditions to the region were held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche.

    You might also like: DEADWOOD PILOT SCRIPT PDF

    A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics revealed that the location was entirely unlikely for such an avalanche to have occurred. The "dangerous conditions" found in another nearby area which had significantly steeper slopes and cornices were observed in April and May when the snowfalls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.

    An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a very specific avalanche that circumvents the other criticisms, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent. It had collapsed laterally but not horizontally.

    Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotaryov was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche.

    Footprint patterns leading away from the tent were inconsistent with someone, let alone a group of 9 people, running in panic from either real or imagined danger. In fact, all the footprints leading away from the tent and towards the woods were consistent with individuals who were walking at a normal pace.

    Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident

    Repeated investigation[ edit ] A review of the investigation evidence completed in by experienced investigators from the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation ICRF on request of the families confirmed the avalanche with a number of important details added.

    The harsh weather at the same time played critical role in the events of the tragic night, which has been reconstructed as follows: On 1 February the group arrives at the Kholat Syakhl mountain and erects a large, 9-person tent on an open slope, without any natural barriers, such as forests.

    On the day and a few preceding days a heavy snowfall continued, with strong wind and frost. The group, traversing through the slope and digging in the tent into the snow weakens the snow base. During the night the snow field above the tent starts to slide down, pushing on the tent fabric. The group wakes up and starts evacuation in panic.

    Some of the attendees were able to put on warm clothes, while some didn't. All escape through a hole in the tent fabric. The whole group goes down the slope and finds a place perceived as safe from the avalanche only m down, at the forest border. Four of the group, only in their underwear and pyjamas, camp at a small fireplace they started at the forest border.

    Their bodies were found first and confirmed to die from hypothermia. Three alpinists, including Dyatlov, attempted to climb back to the tent, possibly to get sleeping bags.

    They had better clothes than those at the fireplace, but still quite light and their footwear was incomplete. Their bodies were found at various places ranging m from the fireplace, in poses suggesting they fell down of exhaustion while trying to climb in deep snow in extremely cold weather. Remaining four, equipped with warm clothes and footwear, were apparently trying to find or build a better camping place in the forest further down the slope.

    Their bodies were found only 70 m from the fireplace, under several meters thick layer of snow and with traumas indicating they fell into a snow hole formed above a stream. These bodies were only found after two months. According to the ICRF investigators, the factors contributing to the tragedy was extremely bad weather and lack of experience of the group leader in such conditions, which led to selection of a dangerous camping place.

    After the snow slide, another mistake of the group was to split up, rather than building a temporary camping place down in the forest and trying to survive through the night. Negligence of the investigators contributed to their report creating more questions than answers and inspiring numerous conspiracy theories. The topography of these locations were noted to be very similar according to the expedition. The expedition proposed that the group of hikers constructed two bivouac shelters, one of which collapsed, leaving four of the hikers buried with the violent injuries observed.

    By the time they were further down the hill, they would have been out of the infrasound's path and would have regained their composure, but in the darkness would be unable to return to their shelter. Military tests[ edit ] Speculation exists that the campsite fell within the path of a Soviet parachute mine exercise. This theory alleges that the hikers, woken by loud explosions, fled the tent in a shoeless, shell shocked panic and found themselves unable to return for supply retrieval.

    After some members froze to death attempting to endure the bombardment, others commandeered their clothing only to be fatally injured by subsequent parachute mine concussions. There are indeed records of parachute mines being tested by the Soviet military in the area around the time the hikers were there.

    Book Review – Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident

    The theory coincides with reported sightings of glowing, orange orbs floating or falling in the sky within the general vicinity of the hikers,[ citation needed ] potentially military aircraft or descending parachute mines.

    This theory among others uses scavenging animals to explain Dubinina's injuries. Photographs of the tent allegedly show that it was apparently erected incorrectly, something the experienced hikers were unlikely to have done.

    However, radioactive dispersal would have affected all of the hikers and equipment instead of just some of it, and the skin and hair discolouration can be explained by a natural process of mummification after three months of exposure to the cold and winds.

    Furthermore, the initial suppression of files regarding the group's disappearance by Soviet authorities is sometimes mentioned as evidence of a cover-up, but the concealment of information regarding domestic incidents was standard procedure in the USSR and therefore far from peculiar. And by the late s, all Dyatlov files had been released in some manner. However, others in the group appear to have acquired additional clothing from those who had already died which suggests that they were of a sound enough mind to try to add layers.

    The show begins with the premise that the skiers' injuries were such that only a creature with superhuman strength could have caused them. The documentary also claims that the howling sound they've recorded during their cave and forest expedition does not belong to any known animal species.

    At the Dyatlov Pass he noted: There were wide discrepancies in distances quoted between the two possible locations of the snow shelter where Dubinina, Kolevatov, Zolotarev and Thibault-Brignolles were found. One location was approximately 80 to metres from the pine tree where the bodies of Doroshenko and Krivonischenko were found and the other suggested location was so close to the tree that anyone in the snow shelter could have spoken to those at the tree without raising their voices to be heard.

    This second location also has a rock in the stream where Dubinina's body was found and is the more likely location of the two. However, the second suggested location of the two has a topography that is closer to the photos taken at the time of the search in Furthermore, the prevailing wind blowing over the ridge had the effect of blowing snow away from the edge of the ridge on the side where the tent was.

    Dyatlov Pass incident - Wikipedia

    This further reduced any build-up of snow to cause an avalanche. This aspect of the lack of snow on the top and near the top of the ridge was pointed out by Sergey Sogrin in [46] McCloskey also noted: Lev Ivanov's boss, Evgeny Okishev Deputy Head of the Investigative Department of the Sverdlovsk Oblast Prosecution Office , was still alive in and had given an interview to former Kemerovo prosecutor Leonid Proshkin in which Okishev stated that he was arranging another trip to the Pass to fully investigate the strange deaths of the last four bodies when Deputy Prosecutor General Urakov arrived from Moscow and ordered the case shut down.

    Something Okishev regarded as highly unusual and the only time, in his experience, it had happened. Eichar makes a solid refutation of several of the pet internet theories regarding the hikers, including governmental conspiracy, avalanche, military weapons testing, and attack by the indigenous Mansi.

    He gives no credence to far-afield theories such as aliens or the supernatural. Math and science, YAY! The second is certainly plausible, based on information that the author presents and a quick glance at the internet for verification.

    The third assertion feels the least plausible. He purports that the Israelis use an infrasound technique that creates nausea and dizziness to assist with crowd dispersal. The author did not cite, and nor was I able to locate, any research indicating that complete irrational panic can be induced by infrasound.

    Given that the group was entirely composed of experienced hikers with lots of previous exposure to hostile mountain environments, I find it highly unlikely that they all broke from reality so completely as to exit the tent without even donning shoes. The evidence available is sufficient to support these conclusions: -The hikers felt immediate mortal danger from remaining in the tent even for such a short time as would be needed to put on boots, gloves, etc.

    They continued to some distance from the tent, to the extent that some sustained injuries from falling into an unseen ravine that was quite a distance away.

    What would make them flee from their tent under such conditions? Someone—likely Thibeaux-Brignolles or Zolotariov, as they were in appropriate clothing for the elements—heads outside to answer the call of nature, or check the weather, or make sure the tent is secure.

    The bitter wind blows the snow across the slope above the tent. By limited light, the hiker outside catches sight of the roiling snow moving toward the tent.

    Dubinina, Kolevatov, and Thibeaux-Brignolles fall into the ravine, suffering traumatic injuries. By the time the panicked flight ends, they have covered so much ground and become so disoriented that returning to the safety of the tent is impossible given the conditions.

    Related articles:

    Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.